segunda-feira, 7 de abril de 2008

The promised post to Ryley

Ryley is a very cool Australian guy who comes to Brazil in June and that´s why is learning Portuguese, because he wants to interact with the people and Brazilian culture as much as he can (no jokes, plz). That´s a nice vision for a 22 years old boy ("Old boy"! Did you see? It´s great!).

So, I've tried to help him with his Portuguese lessons, but I think I failed trying to explain a question he did. First he noted that we, brazilians, use so much "que". Then asked me to translate "that was great" to Portuguese, which I translated as: “Isso foi ótimo”. Immediately he said: “but there is no 'que' in there, Erica! Haha…I know it´s not that simple”.

Of course not! Ry, the “que” gone with the translation wind. So complicated to explain things like that in a simple and direct form, but I'll try to do something for you right now:

que

1 (with subordinate clause, often does not translate) that
2 (consecutive often does not translate) that
3 (comparisons) (v) than that
→ more, less, even pron
1 (thing) which, that, (+ prep) which
2 (person) who, that (supplement) whom, that
3 (interrogative) what?
4 (exclamation) what!

I was thinking here that, in our case, the phrase is a kind of exclamation clause (in spite of we haven't use the 'what'), you know that every rule has its exception. I´m not sure if i am right, but hope it can help you to make it clear in your mind. I´m remembering you saying: “i've learnt a lot of phrases. It's a pity Brazilians don't just speak in phrases! I've been watching some Brazilian documentaries, and I can't understand a single word.”

Be patient, honey. I know you´ll get it. :)

PS.: Unfortunately our difference in time does not contribute to talk more, but my insomnia does.

PS2.: Hey, maybe i could tell you the translation was "que ótimo!". Much more simple, hahaha

PS3.: You have to help me improve my English too. Correct me always, please.

PS4: If someone thinks can help us being clearer, please do it in the comments. :)

2 comentários:

Anônimo disse...

Oi Erica!
Muito Obrigado!

I wish I knew how to write my entire comment in portuguese. You are so clever to be able to speak two languages, Erica. I'm very impressed.

Your explanations about 'que' have raised more questions for me! So I look forward to chatting with you about it. I know it's such a small thing, so I really appreciate your patience and your help. You are such a kind person :)

And I'm sorry that you have insomnia, but I'm really glad that it means we can chat because you are a zombie girl :P

Take care, sono bem (for a change)

Ryley xoxo

Dri disse...

Muito obrigada, querido - i see u really learned to say "obrigadO", 'cause u´re a boy. Good pupil! ;)

It seems that the more we deepen the knowledge, the more questions we have, don´t u think?

(And we still need to talk about the bad words, hahaha)

Kss.